JUANA: We just want to close the book on this story. We had a report on this last Thursday and we set up a “Go Fund Me” account for vet care for Phoenix. We closed the “Go Fund Me” page for this poor dog. This poor boy didn’t make it.
I went to visit him on Monday. It was before noon, when I saw him and he looked horrible. It was very upsetting for me, because I’ve never seen a dog or a human that badly burned. I was very upset and I couldn’t stop crying. I asked if we should continue treating him or if we should put him to sleep. Lacie said that he looked a lot better and he was doing much better than he had been on the previous day. I couldn’t imagine how bad he looked before. I hugged him and I kissed him and I didn’t want to hurt him. He didn’t seem to be in pain. He seemed peaceful and restful. Lacie said he was sedated and he had his head up. His eyes were half open. I petted his little nose and eyes.
At 7:00 that evening, I got a text from Dr. Dumeyer. It said that she was very busy, but she wanted to give me more details and she would get back to me. In the meantime, I got a text from my son Gordie and he said that he was very sorry that Phoenix didn’t make it. Gordie said that Dr. Dumeyer was very busy, but she would get back to me as soon as possible, to tell me what happened.
Then I called Fire Marshall Ronnie Denton, because he and his wife wanted to adopt Phoenix. I gave him the bad news and told him that I would get back with him as soon as I found out what happened. As soon as he answered the phone he said, “I was there.” He told me that he was with Phoenix, when it happened. He said that the doctor was cleaning his wounds and he was under sedation. He went into shock and they tried to revive him. He guessed that his poor body couldn’t take it anymore. Ronnie said that he seemed very peaceful and he didn’t appear to be suffering. I worried that he might be in pain, but I relied on the fire marshal’s experience. This fire marshal dedicates his life to protect people and animals from terrible things like this. And he wanted to keep on trying, because he thought that Phoenix could make it. I put my faith in this fire marshal and we tried to save Phoenix. This fire marshal hoped that he would make it, but he didn’t. We had already gotten three wonderful donations from the “Go Fund Me” page. And Junior has already written notes to those three people, who donated that money. It will go to Morton Clinic and we don’t know how much we still owe Morton Clinic, just for Phoenix. The fire marshal wants to keep his ashes. He said that it must have been his time and it was probably best for Phoenix. Later on, Dr. Dumeyer told me that Phoenix was under anesthesia, when he passed, and the fire marshal and his wife were there with him. His wounds were just too much. She said, “He was such a sweet boy. I am so sorry that I couldn’t save him, Miss Juana.”
It was nobody’s fault, except the people who put him in that situation, where he and their other dog could get burned. As we have already reported, the other dog panicked and strangled himself, because he was also chained to a pole and he was trying to get away from the fire. Unfortunately, we have already heard that the people aren’t going to be charged with cruelty to animals. They will only get a fine for burning trash in their yard illegally. Their dogs were tied up to poles too close to the fire and they left them there. They said that was unintentional. So they are off the hook. It’s just so terribly, terribly sad.
BILL: We’ll be back again tomorrow with another report from Straydog.
You can listen to this Special Report below.